Responding, Not Reacting to Conflict:
Learning How to Balance Regard for Self and Other in Difficult Conflicts
One Day Training will be conducted by Michelle Zaremba & Janet Mueller, both experienced transformative mediators and managers of Mediation Centers.
This training is an opportunity for participants to learn how to apply the transformative approach to conflict in personal, workplace, and family situations. Ongoing conflicts often impact our ability to productively interact with others. Difficult conflict often results in feelings of personal helplessness as well as deep distrust and anger toward others. These experiences often lead us to think the worst of those who disagree with us, demonizing them in thoughts and actions and reacting in destructive ways toward them.
Based on the theories of the Transformative Approach to Mediation from The Promise of Mediation (Bush and Folger), strategies are presented to support people in turning the negative and destructive cycle of conflict interaction into a more productive and constructive interaction. The emphasis in this training is on learning how to respond with greater self-awareness by balancing regard for self and other, rather than reacting in the moment in ways that turns conflict into crises.
Although we can’t control others in conflict, we can learn ways to balance regard for self and other as we respond to those who disagree with us. Assessing our own behavior and who we want to be in conflict can lead to a more constructive interaction with others. In supporting constructive behavioral choices in conflict, this training helps people become stronger and more self-aware.
Topics will include:
- Destructive and constructive conflict cycles.
- The dynamic shifts of empowerment and recognition.
- Practical strategies for responding to difficult conflicts.
Training will be held in English.
How to register:
– Online registration form: REGISTRATION or
– E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The seat on the Training is guaranteed only with the complete payment of registration fee.
– paid before May 1, 2014: 390,00 euro (VAT not included),
– after May 1, 2014: 470,00 euro (VAT not included).
Your registration is confirmed with the payment of the training fee. Information for the training fee payment will be included in the confirmation of your registration.
Number of participants is strictly limited.
– Cancelling before May 1, 2014 will result in 50% refund – substitute from the same organization possible with no extra charge.
– Cancelling after May 1, 2014 – no refund – substitute from the same organization possible with payment of additional 10% of administrative costs.
The Organizer reserves the right to modify the program and/or to change other published organizational details.